Sunday, July 4, 2010

TOMTOM

Meet Tom, its full name is Tomtom. I have used several other names for it, but cannot use them on my blog or it will have to be listed as having "adult content". You get the idea.
When my husband and I traveled back and forth the country I did the navigating. I had big maps, little maps, and directories for campgrounds. I was and still am a very good navigator. However now that I will be driving I can't deal with reading all of that paper.
A GPS unit that connects to Google for the locations of the nearest gas stations and their prices, campgrounds, hospitals etc, and that will navigate a driving route all while you are still on the interstate traveling at a minimum of 65 MPH using a predetermined route to your destination should be a great help. I even paid extra for one that answers to voice commands to avoid trying to key in commands while driving.
Now if I could just figure out how the #%@*^(*@! thing works.
It is 1:30 PM an I am still in my nightgown, interfacing with the device itself and its computer counterpart. Ever so slowly I am starting to figure it out, but this is one very long learning curve. I have spent the morning trying to set up a route for a road trip to be taken by my Stitch & Bitch this week to Tucson to visit four yarn shops. Planning the invasion of Normandy must have been easier.
I am also routing a proposed trip to Florida to see my family next year. It is hard to have faith in a devise that insists that I410 goes around Huston, when all of the other maps in the world show it is I610 and that I410 goes around San Antonio.
Also Deming is a small town with very pronounced cross streets; getting from point A to point B is very, very easy. I ran a test route from my house to Wal Mart and had I taken their proposed route I would have been very, very dizzy.
I have less than a week left to either get this sucker figured out or return it. Grrrrrrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment