Friday, July 23, 2010

Cloudcroft, NM Part IV

During our stay in Cloudcroft the Boy's and I went for walks. Walking with dogs is a necessity, at least that is what the Boy's think. Walks provide the perfect opportunity to explore an area. Unfortunately exploring while walking with dogs means you rush past the scenic areas, and explore dumpsters, telephone poles and things that smell bad. Our walks are always matters of compromise.


When I first got to Cloudcroft I couldn't figure out why the forest bothered me; there was just something a bit "off". It took me two days realize that not only were all of the trees pine, but that there was very little variety in the kind of pine. This lack of variety is due to the very high altitude. The lack of variety also makes for either a bland forest view, or a relaxing forest view; depending on your mindset. I was not only surrounded by green, but green of the same hue and value. This took some getting used to.

There were very few wildflowers. Those that were there were so singular that they stood out like jewels in a deep green velvet box.
The above two pictures were taken with great difficulty. The thistles were not inaccessible; they were right on the edge of the road. They were on a scenic part of the road, not a part with something that would interest two dogs. While I tried to focus on flowers that were gently moving with a breeze the Boy's were each pulling in a different direction while using me as a Maypole. That is why you had better enjoy these two pictures because they are the only ones that I got remotely in focus.

2 comments:

  1. The one with the butterfly is definitely in focus. One out of two ain't bad, given the company you keep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ASA 800 is not enough with one of the "children" on the other end. I try to get 1 good one out of 10 and am estatic with the "trashcan" feature on the camera. 8 GB micro SD 2000 pics, maybe 20 good one's.

    ReplyDelete