Friday, July 2, 2010

Cactus for Suzanne

This entry is for my friend Suzanne. She shares her time between Florida and North Carolina. She lives in tropical jungle like foliage and deep woods; depending on the time of year. The desert does not attract her at all. This morning she sent me an attachment of cactus flower pictures; saying that she had no idea that cactus blossoms were that pretty. So Suzanne, here are some pictures I took during my visit to Rockhound State Park, and one of my neighbors yard.






The blossoms open in the morning and are spent in 24 hours. But there are enough buds for the cactus flower to keep going for several weeks of splendor.



(Note the little bug in the lower left.)


Even when the blossom is spent, it is beautiful.


Hmmmm - I may just take a quick trip around the neighborhood to take pictures of the seed pods that are the reason for all of these beautiful flowers. They are almost as pretty as the flowers.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Barbara! Now I'm a believer. I thought maybe the power point show I sent you had been photoshopped. LOL. I'm looking forward to seeing your next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my east coast relatives found my love for the desert quite strange. They are enthralled with the Cascade Mountains. I, on the other hand, find waterfalls and trees a bit smothering. I can breathe in the desert. But I've never been anywhere where I saw the cacti blooming like this.

    ReplyDelete