Sunday, August 29, 2010

Boring Knit And A New Project

In a former post I was whining about a shawl pattern that was so simple that I was bored. When my brain in not engaged it wanders, when it wanders I miss things like yarn overs or knit together's. The pattern was "Dusk" from the book "A Fine Line". I was drawn to the designs in this book by their clean lines. The designs were based on the placement of color values of yarn, and not the stitches themselves.

The directions called for purchasing a lot of different yarns; a dollar investment I did not want to make. However I did have one skein of "Kauni" in a light fingering weight. It is a variegated yarn in long color runs. When my Stitch & Bitch made our field trip to Tucson I found some "Dream In Color" lace weight yarn that came close in weight, color, and texture to use for the center of the shawl.

The pattern is masterful. The usual placement of increases for the corners is marked; a line of stitches flanked by a hole on each side is the traditional method. For "Dusk" the designer engineered the increases so they blended into the pattern.

My finished shawl is 47" square. That pattern is for a larger shawl, and I prefer a larger shawl, but I was out of yarn and didn't want to order more so I could continue with a project that was putting me to sleep.
It is lovely, but I have learned my lesson: I knit for fun first, and product second. No matter how lovely the pattern looks I will not be drawn in unless it will keep me awake. I am very glad I borrowed my friend's book and did not invest in it myself.

Of course once one project came off the needles a new one had to be cast on. I am making another "Hanging Garden" by Sivia Harding. I made one this spring in a heather grey and have gotten a lot of use from it even though it is wool. When I saw the "Lacey Lamb" 100% extra fine lambs wool in purple while on the above mentioned field trip, I knew it was perfect for "Hanging Garden". I have never knit the same pattern twice, but I think the pattern requires just the right amount of attention from me to keep me awake. This yarn is so soft that it is a joy to work on after my two previous projects.

1 comment: