Friday, September 3, 2010

Duck Festival People Peeping

Last week the Duck Festival was held in Deming. It is held every year at the end of August. The end of August is hot, very, very hot and this year I was not up to attending. That got me digging in my picture archive. I thought I would share some of those pictures and my thoughts on them. I also have some pictures of ducks but it is much harder to read into their characters from a picture so for now I will stick to what I call "People Peeping".


This gentleman is fully focused on his roasted corn. He and his buddies have found a spot in the shade, have water to drink, and are indulging in the guilty pleasure of carnival food. Carnival food is the great equalizer of fair attenders: roasted corn, corn dogs, turkey legs, funnel cakes, candy cotton, candy apples, curly fries. Our hearts urge us to taste our childhood memories, and later our adult digestive systems will make us pay. But oh that first lovely fist bite......

There are free performances by local musicians at the festival. The bleachers are only partially in the shade and if you can stand the sun in the high two digit, or sometimes, low three digit weather you can sit and enjoy some of the local talent Deming has to offer. This woman took my fancy: she is somewhat isolated from the rest of the crowd by her positioning on the bleachers, her hat casually placed so space is preserved on one side, and sitting at an angle which blocks off her personal space on the other side. Her arms and leg are crossed to hold in her private space, and even the lit cigarette is used to extend her protective barrier. I wonder is this is part of her personality or can it be attributed to the heat?

I know this couple and therefore won't read my speculations into their body languages. I will point out that they added denim vests to their outfits, which had to add a layer of heat, and yet still are compelled to hold hands and move through the crowd as one.

Ah this couple; they deserve a post of their own and I will revisit them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment