Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Duck Festival People Peeping

Sorry about disappearing for awhile; my body has not been cooperating with my spirit.

When I last wrote I was talking about one of my favorite subjects: People Peeping. I am fascinated by people reactions, interactions and priorities. This couple caught my attention.

At first glance it is easy to see that even though the couple looks like they are passively sharing their seats in the shade; there is definitely something going on between them.


Her body language tells me that she is solid in her chair, and has no intention of moving. Considering how hot it is in the afternoon sun, in August, in the desert of the Southwest; being solid in your chair in the shade is the only way to go. This posture could also mean that she has an opinion and is not budging from it.

He is ready to spring into action; one foot ready to push off, the other foot extended for the first step, one hand ready to push himself up from the chair, and the other hand grasping his hat to keep it from falling.


The expression on her face could be bored, she could have just said something to him that she thinks will cause a reaction and she is waiting to see what that reaction will be, she has just said something to him she knows he will react to and doesn't care what his reaction is, she has just said something to him, knows his reaction will not be favorable, and she has hidden behind a passive expression.



He is obviously reacting. I can feel the motion of his head swinging towards her. His brows are up, and his lips poised to speak. His eyes look to me like they are angry.
I would love to know the beginning and end of this story, but I could not ask them what had transpired, nor could I linger and observe any longer without being more intrusive than I already was.
Was this just a bad moment in a good marriage, was this a repetitive saga of passive/aggressive behavior, or was this merely a suggestion by her that he get up and buy her some ice cream?
People Peeping is a creative sport.




2 comments:

  1. When we first moved to Portland, I became fascinated by the partial stories one encountered. I'd overhear a couple talking but not know the beginning nor the end --never will. It's a weird feeling, particularly after you've lived in small towns where a lot of beginnings and ends are very well known indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, you have found your voice with your photo observations of people. You have the skill of a natural photographer -- the ability to stand there in front of a subject(s) and shoot your pictures. I always learn something about seeing better from you.

    ReplyDelete