Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Renovation

I am doing some renovations to the house. Right now everything is on a holding pattern waiting on something else. I feel like I am juggling chainsaws and eggs at the same time.


I bought the above miter saw on my shopping spree last week. The only tool I had for cutting angles was a plastic miter box. I need a lot more accuracy if I am to install crown molding throughout the house. A very good miter box was $50, this marvel that does not require me to use a handsaw was $99. It seemed like a worthwhile investment to me. But it sits in the garage waiting for me to make a space to set it up.
Also in my garage is a new TV. My old DVD player no longer works and a new one will not work with the old TV. The TV now has a blue horizontal stripe that appears on occasion. I suspect that the TV is on its last legs. This is a lovely new 32" one (on sale!). I also bought a TV stand for the new TV because the new TV will not fit in my old media center. The new TV table has not made it out of the back of my car for two reasons: there is no room for it in the garage, and it is too heavy for me to move in its box. I will take it out of the box in the back of the car a piece at a time and assemble it very close to where it will be used.
This is the old media center. The new TV will move into that spot but only after I move the media center to the garage where it will be used for storage.

Above is the section of my garage where the media center will be put. It will run perpendicular to the storage on the left of the picture. If you look carefully you will see a large orange box about in the center of the picture. It is a desk that I purchased used and painted. It will go in the kitchen/dinning area where I keep my laptop on a particle board desk that is in deep trouble. This area of the garage will also be my wet studio.



The orange desk is now where it is supposed to be, and I am cleaning out the old desk, determining what will go into the office/guestroom (yet to be set up), what should be tossed, and what should be kept in the orange desk. If I don't finish this job by this afternoon I will have to eat standing up tonight.
The old desk will be offered to my neighbor, who's wife has volunteered him to help move the media center into the garage. If he does not take the desk it will be put in front of the house with a "FREE" sign on it.
This is only the very tip of my iceberg of madness. I will share the process with you as it progresses.
For now I have to work on the mess in the above photo and get it tamed before dinner.
I feel like I should have circus music playing in the background of my life.

1 comment:

  1. OMG -- not only must we labor to be beautiful, but we must make horrendous messes before we can have a tidy space. These are truths that I prefer not to notice until I have to.

    Your explanation was quite, well, quite exhausting.

    ReplyDelete