Friday, June 25, 2010

Sun Damage Furniture

I have left the painting of the interior for a bit. Alas I ran out of paint for the bathroom and must go into Las Cruces for more paint.

I have a lot of other projects besides painting the interior. The furniture on the patio is exposed to the full fury of the high altitude desert sun. While the paint on the same style furniture under the shade of the porch is still almost like new, the patio furniture is screaming for paint.


Painting the same green or a black would be tempting, but the sun fades paint out in one summer. I thought it would be best to start light; when it faded it will only look lighter and not worn; at least that is my plan.


The first color I tried was yellow. It was spray paint which I think would have cost me a fortune for enough to cover the entire set. Lucky for me I did not like the color yellow. I wanted a richer yellow; if I wanted yellow at all.
Then I remember a 5 gallon container of light blue exterior paint that the contractor over estimated by 4 gallons. Light blue furniture would look pretty. Now to get the paint from the garage to the backyard. Even only 4 gallons of paint is mighty heavy. I could not lift it, I did not want to drag it, and then it hit me that I needed wheels. I had wheels; my only luggage wheels from back in the days before suitcases came with them built on. They worked beautifully. Of course I could not have moved the paint without my assistant.

I now have the first coat of light blue paint on one piece of the three piece set.


If the weather continues to give me cool mornings without wind I should finish in about 5 days. (I know that is wishful thinking and it may take all summer to get the right weather combination to work.)Spray would be faster, but cost more, and not give me the control over the color.
Fussy, fussy, fussy


No comments:

Post a Comment