Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lost in Google land


This morning I spent my “blog time” on Google looking through the text of old knitting books. I have accumulated a frightening backlog of titles on my “To Read” list.

Knitters have it easy today; our books come with pictures and charts. A lot of the old books had no pictures, and charts are a fairly new addition to knitting. An early knitter would go by the title of the pattern, and be skilled enough to “see” the pattern without a visual aid. A few of my contemporary knitters have gone through these old books and knitted samplers and composed charts. They are better, more patient knitters than I am. I don’t want to knit samples; I want to knit something I can wear. How impatient we have become over the years.

The scarf I am sharing with you was knit as a gift for my friend Marilyn. I used lovely soft merino wool, in fingering weight. The pattern came from the book Arctic Lace.

No comments:

Post a Comment